Welcome to Your Comedy Layover...

Washington D.C. may not be a city that embraces comedy with open arms, but you knew that already. That is why you found us. Here you can get information, interviews and insights on the best local stand-up, improv and sketch comedy this city has to offer... 4 Now. You can reach us at dccomedy4now(at)gmail.com. LET'S DO THIS, DC!

Thursday, August 7, 2008

DC Comedy Fest, Wedding Dresses (And maybe a homeless guy)


I'm not doubting the "artistic" vision side of this segment...however, I am doubting the "vision" aspect...and using 'vision' as literally as possible.


ps. watch the whole thing to see all the local comedians.

video courtesy of DC Compass



24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Attended both of the DC Comedy Fest shows last night at the Improv, here's my review:

1)District of Comedy in the Improv side room.

There was a sizeable crowd, and though i'm not sure if it was sold out, there were few empty chairs. Bryson Turner hosted, got everything off to a good start, and the show began. Everyone who went up did extremely well, and showcased a lot of the comic talent and diversity in DC.

Sets of night have to go to Hampton, Kojo Mante and Jon Mumma, though pretty much everyone did a great job. Everyone was within their time, the show moved along at a good pace (especially for having so many comics on), and the crowd was laughing the whole time.

My only complaint was that I wish it was in a larger venue so more people could have attended.

2)Industry showcase in the main room of the Improv

Ok, where to begin. The show got started late because of the previous show getting out late, so things were a little hectic, but the improv staff turned over the room quickly, and things got underway.

The show was hosted by someone i've never heard of named Dave Hill. After asking around, he's apparently a darling of the New York Alt comedy scene, and everyone's favorite up there. If you told me that he'd just started doing comedy a month ago, i'd believe you. He had an air of "i'm far to cool to be here", and sadly, no jokes to back it up.

...He tanked for 12 minutes. Only person laughing, the fest organizer.

Jared Logan went up next and followed suit. This is one of orgainzer's clients, and someone else the alt scene seems to be high on. I've heard good things about this man.

...he tanked for 8 minutes. Only person laughing, the fest organizer.

Then another, then another. I overheard staff in the waiter area saying, "who the hell booked this show?" and "who are these people, they're terrible?". The only laughter that could be heard during many people's sets was, once again, the organizer.

Kumail Ali then took the stage (another of the organizer's clients...see a pattern starting?). He did essentially what amounts to a small feature set. It wasn't like he was doing so well that he just couldn't stop either, not at all. He simply ignored the light, and sauntered on through what can be described as a below-average set at it's good points.

Funny note at this point, I looked to my left, and saw Eddie Brill, one of the judges, nod off to sleep once or twice. He was enjoying this about as much as the crowd did.

So did anyone have a good set you ask? Yes, there was one.

Jason Weems, a comic from DC.

It wasn't a homerun by any means, but it was solid, consistent, well timed, and funny. Who'd have thought there was someone from the area that was funny enough to be granted a spot on this showcase? I'll tell you who, everyone who saw the lounge show 2 hours prior.

Is there any wonder now why comics from around this area feel so upset and slighted by the governing powers of this festival? Last night was a perfect example of what has gone wrong with this entire festival.

It isn't a fetival at all.

It's a vehicle for the organizer's clients to be in front of industry, and a chance for her to further her relationship with NEW YORK comedy mainstays, like the abysmal Dave Hill. The true talent is scurried off to some side room where, regardless of the lack of respect shown to them as comics, they continue to put on an excellent show. Meanwhile, hipsters, comedic primadonnas, and stage hogs are given the chance to shine...and completely blow it. Sets are awful, time is ignored, and audience and staff alike are bored to the point of slumber.

I'm not a comic, and could never do what you guys do. But what I am, is an audience member, the bottom line of who a performer should have to impress and entertain.

DC did it in spades, NYC never even showed up to the game.

-Curtis

Anonymous said...

Jared Logan should probably know that Rolling Stones documentary about the disastrous concert at Altamont isn't "helter skelter" which is the title of a Beatles song that was cited in the Manson family killings.

It's gimme shelter. I heard him tell the joke wrong twice.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the report.

I was going to go to some of the events but you just said what I'd been thinking this event was all about.

Well I'm glad I won't be spending my money on this mess. If I wanted to see New York comedy I'd wait for a feature performer to come here or go to New York.

That's funny; it's called the DC Comedy Festival but the comedians don't live in the area.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree although I thought the following comics had the best sets of the night

Jason Weems

Hannibal Buress

Kumail (crowd reaction wise although he did go on for far too long.)

Sean Patton

rory scovel said...

i don't know why everyone leaves comments as anonymous. Over the past few months people have really gone at each other on this blog and its always anonymous. Why not put your name up on it if you are a random person with no real investment.
If you left this comment and you say you aren't a comic I have to wonder why you are so invested in local standup comics. I mean you know their names, you seem to know their background and you also have this bitterness towards the festival and its organizer. Would a random audience member who appreciates comedy really be that invested? Was the show in the side room awesome? Sounds like you really enjoyed it. I think the festival organizer booked that show. You don't have to be in the main room at the Improv in front of the "Industry" to measure your success. It doesn't mean anything. Noone is going to Hollywood tomorrow. So the show was bad and you didn't like the comics that performed. Ok. Do you really think (if you are just a random audience member) that the guys you are defending in your rant actually have something invested in you. You're standing up for them as anonymous. The guys you are defending are my friends. They are great comedians and they prove it every single time I see them perform. It doesn't matter what stage they are on. The festival organizer is also a fan of comedy. She puts a festival together to give comics a chance to perform. Maybe she didn't choose the people you wanted to see perform as such an avid DC fan, but she does provide an opportunity each year for some local comics to get in front of industry and more importantly other comics. You are a fan, do you book a show or provide pay for these guys that you adore? If not then why be so bitter towards someone that provided you with a great show in the DC comedy lounge last night. You say you enjoyed it. No shit the organizer puts her clients on the shows she wants to put them on. They are her clients that she represents to hopefully provide work for. Would you not put your clients in?
I hate getting involved in these blog wars. Its annoying. But I am putting myself in this one. My name is Rory Scovel and I'm a former DC, now NYC comic. I'm not anonymous. That is my name, that is who I am and that is my opinion. If you now want to tear me down at least have the courage in front of the readers to post who you really are.

COOL BOY said...

Do you have any idea how empty my life is. A blog war provides the illusion of human contact that I desperately crave.

I think the biggest problem wasn't the performers but the late start. The audience was just tired. I thought Dave Hill was very funny but am willing to concede that his style might not be well suited for the event.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rory,

Aren't you one of her clients?

Anonymous said...

I think that people choose to write anonymously because they don't want to be judged. Let's face it, a lot of people are judgemental (including myself at times) and people post anonymously so they can write freely without criticism. That's why I am posting anonymously - some people don't want their name associated and it's completely understandable.

With that being said, I also attended both shows last night and I really enjoyed the show in the side room. It was very professional and well run. I'm a fan of comedy and thought it was a fantastic show and do agree with the original anonymous poster about the quality of the comics. Each and every comic was professional and funny. I especially enjoyed the host, Jason, and the headliner.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter what it is, and here is mine: The last show was just plain bad. I've seen a lot of comedy shows; isn't the host supposed to get the show ready for the comics and not ruin it? He was awkward and extremely uncomfortable to watch. He did horribly and no one who was there can deny that - it was obvious from the lack of laughter in the audience that this was not the right place for him.

Where was the high quality caliber of comics that I (along with many others) was expecting? It was advertised as an Industry Showcase featuring the best up and coming comics and is that all they came up with? Really? If that's all there is, then I never want to leave DC because the show in the smaller room completely blew the late show out of the water both talentwise, and level of professionalism. One guy in the middle performed a lot longer than the rest of the people on the show which is telling of how little he respected the show or venue - and he wasn't even funny. I was amazed at the talent that was chosen for the larger show after I had just watched about 10 great comics in the other room. Why weren't they on the big show? I don't know and don't have the answer. With the exception of 2-3 comics on the late show, it seemed to me like a really poor representation of good comedy that should be aimed at appealing to an audience and not "funny because I'm different."

Thank God I got a free pass and didn't pay for that late show. I would have asked for my money back. Talk about pulling a bait and switch!

rory scovel said...

I guess I just see leaving an anonymous comment as extremely weak. You see I also enjoy writing freely and being able to avoid criticism. I also do standup where I must publicly showcase my writing and then look on a site to review the criticism only to find out those who fear criticism in their free writing are the ones that are actually criticizing. Have an opinion but be bold about it and stand behind it. Don't have a strong opinion about something and then cower because someone is going to criticize your opinion. Yes I'm one of Blaire's clients. She is my friend and manager of many years. I don't care that people criticize her on here. I don't want you to think I'm merely speaking up because she was mentioned in a negative light. You are allowed to have your opinion on anything. If you don't like her or her festival or how its booked perhaps consider not supporting it in the future and not showing up at all. I don't know who would debate any thoughts on the show last night. It wasn't a good show overall for sure. I just reviewed my set today and I'm really unhappy with how I performed. To have an opinion about the show not going well is something you'd read from a fan of comedy. To read someone rip apart the festival and the organizer (to me) seems like someone is a little more invested in the comedy scene than they make themselves out to be. Unwilling to say who they are in my opinion looks like they are concerned that the person they are tearing apart might read that opinion. I don't know who anyone is so far that I'm debating. Its fine. Be afraid that someone will judge you on here. But don't be afraid to judge others with such an acidic attitude. Is that what you're saying? Just put anonymous and you can in the weakest way possible tell people what you really think of them.

Anonymous said...

Before I saw you onstage last night, I don't think we've ever met Rory. I'm sorry I don't have a google account to log in here, but I'm not posting anonymously, I did write my name. I've heard about you in passing around here, and everyone seems to think very highly of you.

I'm not a comic myself, as I stated, but I relocated to the area last year, and have enjoyed coming to shows with my girlfriend, and hanging out at open mic nights. I've really taken to some of these young performers, and see the stars of the future right here, that is why I feel so invested in this whole ordeal. All the talk at the open mic nights has been about comics from this city being ignored for a festival that is taking place in their city!

I'm not here bashing anyone, i'm here reaffirming the concerns and grievances of the comics I see at RiRa and Topaz and Wizeacres each week. It's not that they weren't selected for the festival that has them so mad (though some of them are), it's the fact that they were passed over for such below average acts that has them angry, and feeling disrespected.

Is being "alternative" another word for "I can't make people laugh"? That is what I gathered from last night.

And be honest, you were on the show, how unwatchable was Dave Hill?

-Curtis

rory scovel said...

i don't know if the debate has changed. I opened by saying I don't understand the anonymous blogging and I'm still saying it. I do enjoy reading some of the debates on here and I do understand that the ability to anonymously blog is what lets people let shit fly. Letting shit fly is really fun, especially as a person who posts anonymously. But how much more fun would these open mics be if people didn't post anonymously and posted openly? I'll bet they'd be a lot more exciting and fun for the comics. Thats funny that you put Leo Goodman. People seem to go with his name a lot when they want to seemingly out themselves. My other point wasn't so much a debate. I think its creepy that someone posted anonymously about their opinion on the show. They claimed to merely be a fan of comedy and an audience member but yet they know so much about the politics of the comedy scene. I find it stalkerish. Unless they are in fact a comic posting as a supposed audience member. Do you see the potential here? The opportunity to really make things more excited face to face. Instead of posting anonymously, claiming to be an audience member or a comic, say who you really are. Then these local showcases would be so much more fun socially. Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun with the back and forth on the blog and there is no need to refocus. Posting anonymously is still weak. You can defend it all you want. I find that admirable as well.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rory scovel said...

I do want to state one thing I really appreciate. I love that we are now saying our names in the same format that I said it. I keep reading them like the guys that say Robert Paulson in Fight Club. Now John didn't that feel good to say your name to go with your statement? I concede the stalkerish line. I see exactly how you could piece this together because yes it is discussed quite often. So stalkerish, you're right, unnecessary. But underbelly? Its a small comedy festival, its not the mafia. In my opinion, anyone that takes the time to put a festival together with their own money and their own time should have full say in how the festival is run. Politics or not. Its their gig.
I had fun today responding to these, I hate getting caught up in these things but now I've clearly stated my frustrations with what I read. Curtis, John very nice talking to you. I hope you continue to support local comedy.

Anonymous said...

Rory

You're right. Whoever puts up their money and time should run the deal the way they see fit.

But if the public is paying for the entertainment at least let the public know that there's some serious "home cooking" going on. Why take my money and let me know after words that almost everyone on stage is from the same shop, from New York. Were there no stages available in New York to get the NYC comedy fan to pony up the dollars to see those comics in NYC?

Even in the scripted world of pro wrestling you have some feeling of fairness.

This is not a personal attack, I'm just wondering.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely with the last anonymous poster. The organizer has every right to do with the festival as he/she wants because it's his/her money. But tell us, as the audience and buyers of his/her tickets, what we are getting. Tell us these aren't the up and comers - tell us that they are really NY based alternative comics that he/she (the organizer) wants to promote. Don't tell us that these are the best and brightest because clearly, they aren't based on the review of the Industry show and the show I saw last night. I attended the show at the Black Cat last night and it was terrible. It was called "Super Alt" and it should have been called "Super Awful". I didn't laugh, and the people around me didn't either. A lot of people were talking at the bar probably because they were so disinterested in the awful comis onstage and found their friends more funny. What a waste of time and money.

Unknown said...

I still don't understand why you people didn't think Dave Hill was funny. Here's a clip of him that I laugh at every time.

http://tinyurl.com/5b3b53

Anonymous said...

Actually, I couldn't disagree more with the last poster. I was at the blackcat show last night and thought it was great. The comics were hilarious and super friendly. I actually got to hang out with a few of them after the show and got some pictures with them. check it out

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2396/1775338381_bfd4b73a59.jpg?v=0

I am John X and I'm a former NY resident, now DC resident. I'm not anonymous. That is my name, that is who I am and that is my opinion

eli sairs said...

i'm really happy to see there are fans of comedy here, who actually go out of there way to hit up wiseacres or something. that is wonderful to me. God bless ya, Curtis, etc. That's all.

Unknown said...

I like pie and watching people fall down.... I just wanted to feel involved.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for nice comments Eli (you've always made me laugh at the Spy Bar). You guys and gals have always treated me and my girlfriend very nicely, and I just want to see you all do well. I guess fans of comedy around DC are considered fans, and in New York they're treated like stalkers? Maybe thats why the New York comics have to come down here, so they can perform for people they haven't pissed off yet.

I wish you all got more respect for your talents. You are a funny group of people, and I wish you the best. Sorry to hear about the Black Cat show. Had more DC comics been performing, I would come.

Isn't that funny. A DC resident, wanting to DC comedians in DC at the DC Comedy Festival. Maybe I have to go to New York for that? Better not, because i'd hate to be looked at like a stalker.

-Curtis

Anonymous said...

"If you let people put tags on you, you'll never be able to remove them. You've got to make people respect you. Respect is bigger than dollars and cents."

- Sylvester Stallone as Nick Martinelli in Rhinestone

Joe Robinson said...

I check out those links. Which one of those guys are supposed to be Dave Hill?

Unknown said...

Disclaimer: I'm speaking here as a comic (Jeff Maurer) who was not accepted into the DC Comedy Fest, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I generally agree with Rory's point about anonymous posting, but it really only bothers me when somebody is being a complete asshole. Curtis and the other guy were just giving their opinions.

I think we're seeing exactly how comedy as a whole gets hurt when bookers book comics for reasons other than merit. Many audience members didn't enjoy these shows, and they'll be less likely to attend a comedy show in the future. Some audience members will come to the conclusion that there must not be much talent in DC.

I wasn't at the show, so I won't give my opinion about whether or not the comics were funny, but no serious person could claim that Blaire booked the funniest comics available. She did what bookers do all the time: she booked comics for reasons other than being funny (that doesn't mean that some of them weren't ALSO funny). This is an epidemic in comedy: bookers regularly punish the audience by booking friends, clients, comics they want to sleep with, comics they book out of habit, and comics who can do something for the booker. We need to listen to what the audience is telling us, and what the audience is telling us is clear: Stop making me sit through these unfunny hacks. Book someone who can make me laugh.

ryanconnercomedy said...

"This is an epidemic in comedy: bookers regularly punish the audience by booking friends, clients, comics they want to sleep with, comics they book out of habit, and comics who can do something for the booker. We need to listen to what the audience is telling us, and what the audience is telling us is clear: Stop making me sit through these unfunny hacks. Book someone who can make me laugh."

I agree with Jeff.